Volkswagen Amarok V6 still calls Australia home
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has today flagged the introduction of a more powerful version of the best-selling Amarok Highline variant.
Almost 90% of the 1229 Amaroks sold in Australia last month were V6s, of which the Highline has remained the strongest seller. Australia is world's biggest Amarok V6 market and the second biggest Amarok market in total behind only Argentina, where the vehicle is produced and where some 70% of volume is four cylinder versions.
From September the best-selling Highline will move to the same market leading output previously reserved for Amarok 580 variants. The EU5 engine with 190kW (200kW on overboost) and 580Nm will replace the current 550Nm Highline. It can reach 100km/h from standing in 7.3 seconds. Produced now exclusively at Pacheco plant in Argentina, the Highline 580 retains the 3.5 tonne (braked) towing capacity. Unlike some rivals, the Amarok has rear disc brakes.
Inside, standard equipment includes:
- 'Salipria' cloth seat trim
- Discover Media navigation with App-Connect
- Alarm with interior monitoring
- Leather covered multi function steering wheel
- Dual zone climatronic air conditioning
On the outside:
- 18-inch 'Rawson' alloy wheels
- Stainless steel sports bar and side steps
- Bi-xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights
- Park distance control front and rear with reverse camera
- Front fog lights with cornering function
- Tinted tail lights
Pricing will be announced shortly.
Volkswagen Australia's Director of Commercial Vehicles Ryan Davies said that Amarok V6 remained one of the brand's pillars.
"There are some exceptional utes on the Australian market, but we can state confidently that the Amarok V6 remains at the forefront for performance and driving dynamics," he said. "Clearly Australians are continuing to respond to that."